I Look Back Not Wanting: a spoken word poem By John McKinley Pride Jr

A spoken word poem


“I Look Back Not Wanting”

Is it a crime to cheat death?

To defy a way out of life’s end
To see the cloak of death creeping
Sweeping over my body in darkness

Only to watch it gracefully hover over my head
Grazing the end of my nose

Pulling my lashes to open my eyes
And seeing the darkness no more

I look back not wanting
But wondering why it did not
Choose me this time

Why for a moment I felt peace
And fear all at the same time

Why my lips felt cold but kissed death good bye

I look back not needing
I look back not wishing
I look back not wanting
I look back wondering why

Why

It did not choose me this time

By John McKinley Pride Jr
2/21/11

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Conspire to inspire thousands a poem By John M. Pride Jr

Honest John (Bio Style): a poem By John McKinley Pride Jr

More poems to come soon